Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Love affair with a gadget


 At the risk of sounding a bit loony, I must tell you about my favorite gadget.  I am truly in love with a gadget.  It is the Foley Food Mill.

I have vivid sensory memories of Mom making applesauce with the Foley Food Mill. I am sure she made other things with it, but I mostly remember the applesauce.  When it was referred to in my home, it was always with its surname, the Foley Food Mill. As if there were other food mills in the cupboard? One other household item from my childhood has that same formal naming: the Scotch Cooler. I'm sure I'll think of others (or maybe my siblings will chime in).

You can only imagine my glee when I found my very own at the Barn of Opportunity gift shop years ago.

 I sped home and whipped up a batch of applesauce. Yummers.
And today, I made a small batch of my favorite roasted tomato sauce, just like Adelaida Gaviria taught me. This sauce is September ambrosia when the tomatoes on my counter get ahead of my capacity to eat them raw and my desire to process them in any fancy way. I cut them in big chunks, toss them with olive oil, add some garlic cloves and an onion, and slow roast it all for a couple of hours while I do something else, smelling the best-ever smell. Then a few spins in the Foley Food Mill and there it is, what I call Laida's Lazy Tomato Sauce.

I won't be winning any awards for food photographs here.  My son tells me these don't look appealing at all.  You'll have to take my word for it, until blogs have an aroma attachment.




3 comments:

  1. I was going to wax poetic about your ability to weave lives and tales so beautifully and whimsically, but I must excuse myself and go write a poem about this one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my house growing up it was the "Mouli grinder," which we, too, always called by its family name. My grandmother Lidia used it to make her spaghetti sauce, and I know she is looking over my shoulder whenever I use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually it was her shrimp scampi that did it for me... but the garden tomato sauce is killer too!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, and I know others do too.