Sunday, May 1, 2011

Bin Diving with Brigid


I am lucky to have a friend like Brigid.  She does what a good friend should: listens to me vent, brainstorms with me to solve problems, laughs at my jokes, shares a beer and a good cry about whatever hardship I'm working through at the moment.  But Brigid and I also share a love for the Barn of Opportunity and we know that there is a special depth of our friendship because of that.  We like to say "You hold my ankles, I'll hold yours",  and by that we mean, when one of us is treasure diving into the bin at the Barn, the other will make sure they don't fall in.

 We tested that last Saturday when I told B. that she and I were going to make a wreath out of little kid's plastic toys like the one I had just seen on the web. She trusted me, while admitting "I don't have a visual on this project!" She immediately collected (and washed and dried) a bunch of small plastic junk items from Bin #4.  We each went home and collected more. And today we fired up our hot glue guns out on my back deck and started gluing junk to a Styrofoam wreath that B. found. And soon it took shape. Upcycling at its finest.



Isn't that amazingly cute? Not bad for an hour and a half's work, a few glue sticks and only one burned fingertip.  If you want to see it in all it's plastic glory, it will grace the entrance to the 11th Annual Giant Rummage Sale at Bowdoinham Town Hall on Friday May 27 and Saturday May 28 which benefits our elementary school. Brigid donates a ton of time to running the sale every year.  So if you want to make your own wreath, she reminded me that bags full of toys at the the sale are always $2. If you miss the sale, then head to the barn, bring a friend and hold her ankles while she yells "I think I see the perfect Batman figurine!"

If you would like some nice detail shots and more commentary on the wreath-making, check out Brigid's blog post here.


8 comments:

  1. This was so much fun to make! The only hazard to this project was the kids who came to check on us and decided they REALLY LOVED something that we had already hot glued to the wreath. My son's comment "thanks for stealing my childhood". So be prepared to peel off a toy or two. :-)
    -Brigid

    ReplyDelete
  2. manon whittleseyMay 02, 2011

    love love love it...
    now I can save all the annoying little toys that crunch undcerfoot, and turn them into this fabulous nostalgia-wreath....
    brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanine BeaudoinMay 02, 2011

    What a hoot! And so creative! I have done my share of dumpster diving and barn scouring for treasures with Brigid and can attest to the fact- a better partner in this kind of adventure could never be found! Happy hunting gals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, this is WAY too cute!!! I would have the same problem, though..."HEY! That's mine!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. katie campbellMay 02, 2011

    Oh, oh, this is too cute! My favorite project thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, Olena spotted a beloved pink plastic camera that had already been affixed to the wreath. "Hey! I still play with that!". Now I know that hot glue can be melted by whining.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I know what to do with all those dinosaurs that have been batted out of the ball field and no longer frolic in the autumn mist in a land called Honalee...

    ReplyDelete
  8. An all dinosaur wreath!!! I love it, Adelaida!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, and I know others do too.